P0301 - CYLINDER #1 MISFIRE
Description of DTC code P0301
This DTC code is generic for the propulsion system; therefore, it is applied to vehicles equipped with OBD-II. Basically, this code indicates that the computer ECM (Engine Control module) of the vehicle has detected that one of the cylinders of the engine is not doing its job correctly. In this case it indicates that the fault is occurring in cylinder number 1.
Symptoms of fault code P0301
- Problems arise when starting the engine
- Unstable March
- Engine shaking and shuts off quickly
- Loses strength when accelerating the vehicle
- A strong smell of gasoline persists
- Black smoke coming out of the exhaust
Causes of OBD2 P0301
A code P0301 can have one or more of the following problems:
- Some spark plug or cable is defective.
- Coil with problems.
- One or both oxygen sensors may be in poor condition.
- The fuel injector may be failing.
- The exhaust valve is burned.
- The catalytic converter is defective.
- Empty fuel tank.
- Poor compression.
- The PCM (Power Control Module) computer may be damaged.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0301
To fix the DTC code P0301 you can check the following components:
- Check all the cables and their connectors that lead to the cylinders.
- Check that the spark plugs, cables, the distributor cap, among others, are working correctly.
- Perform maintenance on the spark plugs and cables and if necessary, change them
- Check the coil.
- Examine the fuel injectors and perform vacuum cleaning with the nozzle cleaning machine of your choice.
- Check the Mass Air Flow Sensor.
- Check the EGR valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation), as it may be open or short.
- Check the compression in the motor and that there are no vacuum leaks.