P0272 - CYLINDER 4 CONTRIBUTION / BALANCE
Description of DTC code P0272
Fuel injectors play an important role in vehicle performance and efficiency. They provide the cylinders with the necessary amount of air/fuel mixture.
Vehicle manufacturers have incorporated an injector into each cylinder. However, in some cases, operation relies on a single fuel injector for all cylinders. These injectors have an internal electromagnet that is actuated to open and close the fuel passage.
Symptoms of fault code P0272
- Check Engine light illuminated.
- Engine knocking.
- Difficulty accelerating the vehicle.
- Fuel consumption increases.
Causes of OBD2 P0272
The reasons for the DTC P0272 OBDII code being set are:
- The fuel injector may be blocked.
- The wiring related to the injector may be faulty.
- The fuel injector connector on cylinder 4 is possibly bad.
- The fuel injector may be faulty.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0272
To troubleshoot the P0272 OBD2 diagnostic code you should consider the following:
- Consult the TBS (Technical Service Bulletins) related to the year and make of the vehicle. In these, you will find useful information for diagnosis.
- Check if the wiring harness and injector connector of cylinder 4 is in good condition. If obvious defects are found, repair or replace them as necessary.
- With a voltmeter, check the injector circuit voltage. If you find a lack of current, it is due to an open circuit. Repair it as appropriate.
- Check the cylinder injector and verify that it is not clogged. If it is clogged, you should clean it and proceed to clear the code.
- If after performing all of the above checks the P0272 OBDII code is still set, replace the cylinder 4 injector.
- Start the engine and let it run until the fuel pressure drops and it stops.
- Clamp the fuel return line with a needle vise.
- Remove the crusher valve from the fuel pump inspection port on the fuel rail. Install the hose into the test port.
- Screw a can of injector cleaner onto the hose and wait a few seconds until the cleaner pressurizes the fuel rail. Start the engine and run the vacuum cleaner until it stops.
- Remove the purifier hose from the test port and reinstall the Schrader valve. Remove the clamps from the return line vise and install the fuel pump fuse.
- Erase the DTC and reset the PCM with a conventional code reader.
- Start the engine. If it continues to idle and the code returns, replace the fuel injector.