P0243 - TURBOCHARGER WASTEGATE SOLENOID A MALFUNCTION
Description of DTC code P0243 Generic
The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) controls the boost pressure of a gasoline or diesel engine. It controls the output circuit to the discharge pressure solenoid “A”.
When there are electrical problems in this circuit, the PCM sets the DTC code P0243 OBDII. This code is due to an electrical failure.
Symptoms of fault code P0243 Generic
- Check Engine light illuminated.
- Lack of power.
- Acceleration problems.
Causes of OBD2 P0243 Generic
The factors by which the diagnostic code P0243 OBDII is established are
- The turbocharger discharge gate solenoid may be shorted or one of its wires may be in bad condition.
- Perhaps, the solenoid connector has corrosion causing an open circuit.
- The cable system in the solenoid circuit may be shorted to power or ground.
- Possibly the discharge pressure solenoid is defective.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0243 Generic
To solve the problems thrown by the error code P0243 OBD2, you must do the following:
- Check for Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) for your vehicle.
- Locate the discharge pressure control solenoid, then inspect the connectors and cables. Also, check the terminals of the connectors. If any of these have burn spots, wear or corrosion, proceed to make the necessary repair or replace them.
- Make a test of the solenoid, as well as related circuits. Usually, the solenoid has 2 wires. Disconnect the harness that goes to the solenoid. Then, using a DVOM (Digital Volt-Ohm Meter), connect the meter wires to each solenoid terminal, taking into account the manufacturer's specifications for resistance. If the result is infinite resistance or no resistance at all, the solenoid is shorted and you must replace it.
- If everything is OK when measuring the resistance, check that the solenoid power circuit has 12 volts. Note that the ignition must be on. If this voltage is not present, the wiring is defective, repair it.
- Make sure there's good soil in the discharge pressure solenoid.
- Replace the discharge pressure control solenoid.