P0218 - TRANSMISSION FLUID OVER TEMPERATURE CONDITION
Description of DTC code P0218
Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is a fluid used in automatic transmission vehicles. It is generally red or green to differentiate it from engine oil and other vehicle fluids. This fluid is optimized to meet special transmission requirements, such as valve operation, gear lubrication and belt friction, brakes, and Torque Converter Clutch (TCC).
The DTC P0218 OBDII code is generic and is set by the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) when the transmission fluid temperature is above the limits set by the manufacturer. Generally, for this code, the fluid temperature must be higher than 290 ℉.
Symptoms of fault code P0218
- Check Engine light illumination.
- Transmission operates erratically.
- Transmission fluid leaks.
Causes of OBD2 P0218
The P0218 OBD2 fault code is set when one or more of the following occurs:
- If the vehicle uses a trailer it may be that the weight of the load is greater than supported and causes overheating.
- The transmission cooler or lines may be blocked.
- There may be a low transmission fluid level.
- The clutch fan may not be operating.
- Possibly the Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor (TFT) is faulty.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0218
To resolve the P0218 OBDII diagnostic code you must do the following:
- As a first step, you should consult the TSB (Technical Service Bulletins) these contain useful information for the respective diagnosis.
- If you use a trailer and carry a heavy load, you must check that the vehicle meets the requirements for such load. Take into consideration that if the load is too heavy, the transmission cooler may not be able to keep the fluid temperature down, which will result in overheating of the transmission.
- Inspect the cooler and check that it is not restricted or blocked. Also, check the lines for leaks. Also, make sure that the fan is working properly. Make the necessary repairs.
- Check the condition of the transmission fluid and make sure that it is in proper condition for good system performance. Also, you must verify that the fluid level is the necessary one. If not, make the corresponding corrections.