P0215 - ENGINE SHUTOFF SOLENOID MALFUNCTION
Description of DTC code P0215 Generic
The engine shutdown solenoid interfaces with the fuel delivery to the engine under specific circumstances. It is located in the fuel supply system and is electronically controlled. When a valve is activated and using some method, it diverts fuel back to the storage tank when activated.
The PCM uses various body and engine position sensor inputs to find out when fuel shut-off is necessary. When this occurs, the Powertrain Control Module provides a voltage signal to the engine cut-off relay which sends it, and subsequently, the solenoid is activated. The valve, once enabled, prevents fuel from reaching the engine and diverts it to the fuel holding tank through a specially designed low-pressure return line.
P0215 OBDII fault code is set when the PCM detects a voltage level that does not meet the manufacturer’s specifications in the engine shutdown solenoid circuit.
Symptoms of fault code P0215 Generic
- Check Engine light illuminates.
- The engine cannot start.
- The engine may stall.
Causes of OBD2 P0215 Generic
The reasons for storing the DTC P0215 OBD2 code are:
- The engine shutdown solenoid circuit wiring may have been damaged.
- The ignition switch may be faulty.
- The engine shutdown solenoid may have been damaged.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0215 Generic
To troubleshoot the problems that cause the P0215 OBDII error code do the following:
- Consult the Technical Service Bulletins (TSB).
- Start with an inspection of all the wiring. If you find worn wires or damaged connectors, you should repair them or replace them if necessary.
- Perform an ignition switch test following the manufacturer's recommended procedure. If problems are found during this test, replace the ignition switch.
- Check with a DVOM that the resistance of the engine shutdown solenoid is within the required levels. The results you obtain should match those specified by the manufacturer. If not, replace the engine shutdown solenoid.