P0103 - AIR MASS / VOLUME MAF SENSOR - HIGH INPUT TO CIRCUIT
Description of DTC code P0103 Generic
The MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor is used to measure both the volume and density of air entering the engine. It is worth mentioning that this sensor only measures a part of the air that enters the engine, and with this information the total volume and density of air that is consumed is calculated.
The reading taken by the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) is sent to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) who, along with other sensor parameters, uses this information and ensures that fuel is delivered correctly at the right time, and thus achieve the optimum power and fuel efficiency.
When DTC code P0103 OBD2 is set, it indicates that there is a high condition in the MAF sensor or its circuit. The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) has detected that the actual frequency signal from the MAF sensor is not in the expected range.
Symptoms of fault code P0103 Generic
- The Check Engine light is switched on at the dashboard.
- When starting the engine there may be difficulty.
- Black smoke comes out of the exhaust.
- Unstable engine operation.
Causes of OBD2 P0103 Generic
The factors that can establish the fault code P0103 OBD II are:
- Intake air may leak.
- The electrical system of the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) can present problems such as worn or corroded wires.
- The Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) may be contaminated.
- Faulty MAF
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0103 Generic
The steps for the proper repair of diagnostic code P0103 are as follows:
- You can check for vacuum leaks. To do this, make sure there are no loose hoses or perhaps defective clamps. If problems are found, repair or replace as necessary.
- Inspect the cables that are related to the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF), that do not rub against any component, or are worn, change or replace if you find problems with them.
- Check the cable or hot film of the MAF It may be contaminated or have oil in it. Also, if the screen has an intake system, it must be clean.
- Change the MAF
Codes related to P0103