P0102 - LOW TENSION INPUT OF THE MASS FLOW CIRCUIT (MAF)
Description of DTC code P0102 Generic
The Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) is mounted on the air intake duct of the vehicle’s engine. It is used to measure the volume and density of the air entering the vehicle. It is important to note that the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor only measures a portion of the incoming air, and that value is used to calculate both the volume and the density consumed. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) uses this reading along with other parameters of the MAF sensor, and in this way ensures that, at a predetermined time, the supply of fuel is the most appropriate in order to obtain a power and optimal fuel efficiency.
This fault code P0102 OBDII means that the MAF sensor or its circuit has a low condition. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) has detected that the actual frequency signal of the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) is not operating within the normal range expected.
Symptoms of fault code P0102 Generic
- Check Engine light turns on.
- The operation of the motor is irregular.
- Black smoke comes out of the exhaust pipe.
- The fuel consumption can be low.
Causes of OBD2 P0102 Generic
When the error code P0102 OBD2 is set, it could be due to:
- There may be intake air leaks.
- Air Mass Flow sensor (MAF) cables or connectors may be shorted, rubbing with some other component causing a poor electrical connection.
- The Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) may be contaminated or dirty.
- The MAF sensor is possibly defective.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0102 Generic
The steps to solve the diagnostic code P0102 OBD2 are:
- Firstly, carry out an inspection of all the cables and respective connectors related to the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF). Make sure they do not show signs of wear, or rub with any other component. If you find problems in one of these, proceed to adjust it or if it is necessary to replace it.
- Check for air leaks in the intake system.
- Inspect the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor and observe the cables or the film, as it may be dirty or contaminated.
- You can replace the air filter, which could be dirty. Likewise, if the air intake system includes a mesh, you must ensure that it is clean.
- Carefully clean the MAF sensor with a cleaning spray.
- This DTC code can be activated by the minimum air velocity that passes through the MAF sensor hole, so make sure there are no vacuum leaks under the MAF
- Using a scan tool, it controls the values of the sensor in real time, as well as the Oxygen Sensor (O2).
- The Barometric Pressure (BARO) that is used to calculate the value of the MAF sensor is based on the Multiple Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP) on the ON key. In DTC code it can be established if there is a high resistance in the ground circuit of the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor. Repair if that is the case.
- Replace the MAF