P0098 - INTAKE AIR TEMPERATURE (IAT) SENSOR 2 - CIRCUIT HIGH INPUT
Description of DTC code P0098
In order to obtain more power from the engine cylinders, the forced induction of one of the cylinders is used. By forcing more air into the cylinder, more oxygen is obtained in combustion, which is why the ECM (Engine Control Module) injects more fuel and this results in more power. Forced induction to an engine generates over 40% more power than a naturally aspirated engine with the same displacement.
Forced induction motors have two IAT (Intake Air Temperature Sensor) sensors. Because the air temperature increases under pressure, IAT Sensor 2 measures the air temperature just after the turbocharger. If a problem is detected with this sensor, which could be a temperature or voltage out of range, the Check Engine light is illuminated and the DTC code P0098 OBDII is stored.
Symptoms of fault code P0098
- Malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)
- Low engine performance during acceleration.
Causes of OBD2 P0098
The circumstances that lead to the configuration of the error code P0098 OBD2 are:
- Intake Air Temperature Sensor (IAT) number 2 may be defective.
- The IAT Sensor connection may be shorted to ground or voltage. There may also be deficiencies in the electrical connections.
- IAT Sensor wires are too close to high voltage wiring.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0098
To solve the problems of the fault code P0098 OBDII do the following:
- Make sure the IAT Sensor connector is tight, has no bent pins, no corrosion or water on the connector itself. Also look for cables with rubbing or damage, repair or replace.
- With an automotive scanner, check the reading of the IAT If it is less than -30°, unplug the connector and then install a jumper wire between the harness connector and the ground circuits. At that time the IAT temperature reading should be at maximum on the top side. If this is the case, the problem lies in the connection.
- With a DVOM check the reference voltage, which is 5v. If this voltage is present, check the continuity in the signal circuit between the PCM connector and the IAT
- Change the IAT