P0023 - "B" CAMSHAFT POSITION ACTUATOR CIRCUIT (BANK 2)
Description of DTC code P0023
Variable Valve Timing (VVT) is a system used on engines to achieve increased power or performance at different operating points of the engine.
DTC P0023 OBDII code references the VVT system components and indicates that the Engine Control Module (ECM) has determined that the Oil Control Valve (OCV) on the bank 2 camshaft has an open circuit or there is a short.
Symptoms of fault code P0023
- Check Engine Lamp illumination.
- At high speeds, the engine runs rough.
- Noticeable loss of engine efficiency.
- Fuel consumption increases.
- Difficult engine starts.
Causes of OBD2 P0023
P0023 OBD2 diagnostic code is set when one or more of the following occurs:
- Perhaps the OCV valve is faulty.
- The Oil Control Valve solenoid circuit may be open or short-circuited.
- Incorrect ECM operation.
- Defective VVT actuator.
- VVT circuit problems (damaged wires and bad connections).
- Faulty PCM or software requiring an update.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0023
The steps to repair faults caused by the P0023 OBDII error code are as follows:
- With the engine off, check the electrical connector of the OCV valve for corrosion or a bad adjustment. Proceed to clean it. Make the necessary repairs and replace them if necessary.
- Check continuity of the OCV valve wires. Repair as required.
- Check the resistance of the solenoid controlling the OCV valve. If the results show a resistance different from that specified by the manufacturer, replace the solenoid.
- Replace the OCV valve.