P0022 - "A" CAMSHAFT POSITION - TIMING OVER-RETARDED (BANK 2)
Description of DTC code P0022
The VVT system (Variable Distribution System) is a technology that is used in the engine to achieve greater power during some moments of engine operation.
Although the VVT system consists of different components, the fault code P0022 OBDII refers specifically to the Variable Cam Timing (VCT). If there is an excessive delay in synchronization, fault code P0022 is set.
Symptoms of fault code P0022
- Illuminated service light.
- Problems when starting.
- Decreases fuel economy.
- Engine stagnation.
Causes of OBD2 P0022
The reasons that are related to the diagnostic code P0022 OBD2 are:
- The engine oil used may not be the right one.
- The camshaft may be incorrectly synchronized.
- A constant flow of oil into the piston chamber.
- The control solenoid system may have bad wiring.
- A defective control solenoid.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0022
In order to solve the faults of the DTC code P0022 OBD2 you have to take into account the following:
- Change the oil in addition to the filter, if the used oil is not the correct one.
- With a multimeter, take a resistance reading at each terminal. If there is not 7 to 12 ohms, it is probable that the solenoid is the problem, for that reason you must change it.
- Check the continuity of all the cables between the solenoid, valve and PCM. Replace if you find problems with any of these components.
- Check for good soil.
- Change the Oil Control Valve (OCV).