P0015 - "B" CAMSHAFT POSITION - TIMING OVER-RETARDED (BANK 1)
Description of DTC code P0015 Generic
In an engine, the camshaft is the shaft that controls the valves, and the crankshaft is the shaft that controls the piston. Both shafts must be synchronized to a certain specification in order to achieve proper engine performance. The establishment of diagnostic code P0015 OBDII means that the ECM (Engine Control module) has detected that the camshaft and crankshaft time are not synchronized.
With the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP) and the Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) the position of the crankshaft and camshaft respectively is reported. This code indicates that the time of the camshaft is behind the crankshaft.
Symptoms of fault code P0015 Generic
- Check Engine light illumination.
- Difficulties when starting the engine.
- Increased fuel consumption.
- Idle instability.
Causes of OBD2 P0015 Generic
The reasons that lead to the establishment of the fault code P0015 OBD2 are:
- The oil may be contaminated.
- The belt may be defective.
- Camshaft timing may be incorrect.
- Solenoid cable problems.
- Solenoid may be defective.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0015 Generic
To solve the problems caused by the DTC code P0015 OBDII you must take into account the following:
- Inspect the oil. If you notice that it is contaminated, you should replace it. You should also change the filter.
- Locate the Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) and look for physical damage. Look at the connections and make sure they are tight. Check all wires on this sensor and make sure they are free of defects. Make the necessary repairs.
- Check the camshaft timing control valve. Make sure the resistance level is correct.