P0012 - "A" CAMSHAFT POSITION - TIMING OVER-RETARDED (BANK 1)
Description of DTC code P0012
The diagnostic code P0012 OBD2 refers to components of the VVT system (Variable Valve Timing). This system is used with the objective that the engine obtains an efficiency or greater power, in several points of operation.
Although the system consists of several components, in this case the DTC code P0012 specifically indicates that the problem lies in the timing of the camshaft. Indicates that the timing of the cam is taking longer than it should. The camshaft A is the front camshaft located in the bank number one, this corresponds to the side of the engine that contains the cylinder number one.
Symptoms of fault code P0012
- Check Engine light illumination.
- Power problems.
- Low fuel consumption.
- Lack of power.
- Inestability at idle.
Causes of OBD2 P0012
The problems that can lead to the establishment of the P0012 OBD II fault code are:
- The timing of the camshaft is incorrect.
- The cables of the valve control solenoid system that controls the intake timing may be defective.
- A continuous oil flow to the piston chamber of the VCT (Variable Cam Timing).
- Failure in the solenoid control of the synchronization valve.
Possible solutions of the DTC code P0012
To solve the code P0012 and its faults you must do the following:
- You can change the oil and the filter.
- Check the condition of the cables related to the camshaft oil control solenoid. If they are worn or are rubbing with some other component, repair or change as necessary.
- Change the oil control valve of the camshaft of bank number one.