C0242 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
C0242 Code failures by brands
C0242 PONTIAC, GMC, CHEVROLET, BUICK, CADILLAC: ENGINE CONTROL MODULE INDICATED TRACTION CONTROL MALFUNCTION
Description of DTC code C0242
When traction control is active, the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module) is responsible for sending a serial data message to the ECM (Engine Control Module), requesting the engine torque reduction. If a problem occurs or certain DTCs are set, this action cannot be carried out and the EBCM is notified accordingly.
Storing of the fault code C0242 OBDII occurs, when the ECM signals the existence of a problem, so the requested engine torque reduction cannot be successful.
Symptoms of fault code C0242
- Check Engine lamp illuminates.
- Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) warning lamp on.
Causes of OBD2 C0242
The C0242 OBD2 diagnostic code is stored by the following:
- EBCM wiring or connections could be in poor condition.
- The Electronic Brake Control Module may be faulty.
- The Engine Control Module could be damaged.
Possible solutions of the DTC code C0242
To fix the DTC C0242 OBDII code consider the following:
- As a first step consult the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Verify if in addition to the C0242 code there are other codes stored that refer to more specific problems with a controller. Diagnose the DTCs taking into consideration the order obtained.
- Check all wiring and connectors on the Electronic Brake Control Module. If one of these components is found to be defective due to corrosion, wear, or burns, proceed with the appropriate repairs.