C0050 - RIGHT REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION
Description of DTC code C0050 Generic
The Wheel Speed Sensors are receiving an ignition signal from the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module). In turn, the sensors send a square wave signal to one of the control modules that require it, which is used by the controller to calculate the speed at which the wheel is spinning. Once the wheel starts turning, the sensor proceeds to produce the signal that determines the speed of the vehicle.
A wheel speed sensor is a hall effect sensor, which has at its disposal a reluctance wheel, which when it moves creates interruptions of the magnetic field. This causes a series of pulses to be produced, which are observed and interpreted by the EBCM as the speed.
When the diagnostic code C0050 OBD2 is set, it means that a malfunction has been found in the right rear wheel speed sensor circuit.
Symptoms of fault code C0050 Generic
- Check Engine light comes on.
- The Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) activates its warning light.
- Inconsistencies in the speed displayed on the dashboard indicator.
- Light tapping coming from the brake switch.
Causes of OBD2 C0050 Generic
The setting of the C0050 OBDII fault code occurs because of the following:
- There may be deficiencies in the electrical connections of the Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor circuit due to damage to its wiring.
- There could be a short in the Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor
- The Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor may be bad.
Possible solutions of the DTC code C0050 Generic
To troubleshoot DTC C0050 OBD2 you should consider the following:
- As a first step, you should consult the TSB (Technical Service Bulletins).
- Check the connectors, wires, and other devices that make up the right rear wheel speed sensor If you discover damage due to burns or corrosion, make the appropriate repairs.
- Perform voltage tests on the right rear wheel speed sensor circuit. Compare the actual readings with those specified in the service manual. If you discover an out-of-range value, make corrections as necessary.
- Inspect the Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor and perform an advanced diagnosis of the Right Rear Wheel Speed Sensor, taking into account the steps outlined by the manufacturer. If you determine that it is defective, replace it.