C0040 - RIGHT FRONT WHEEL SPEED SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION
Description of DTC code C0040
The Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) provides the wheel speed sensors with an ignition signal. These sensors deliver a square wave signal to the control module. As the wheel rotates, the sensor produces the signal. This signal is interpreted by the EBCM to determine the speed at which the wheel is rotating.
The wheel speed sensors are hall effect sensors, which have a reluctance wheel. When it moves, it creates interruptions of the magnetic field. This action produces pulses that are provided to the EBCM so that it calculates the speed.
The storage of fault code C0040 OBD2 occurs when the Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor experiences a malfunction in its circuitry. The manufacturer's determined performance does not match the actual operation.
Symptoms of fault code C0040
- The Check Engine light turns on.
- The ABS light illuminates.
- Inconsistency with vehicle speed displayed on the dashboard.
- Slight knocks are felt on the brake switch.
Causes of OBD2 C0040
The C0040 OBDII diagnostic code C0040 is set by one or more of the following reasons:
- The right front wheel speed sensor cables may be defective due to corrosion or other damage.
- The Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor circuit may be shorted due to poor electrical connections.
- The Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor may be defective.
Possible solutions of the DTC code C0040
To solve the OBD2 DTC C0040 OBD2 code, try this:
- Consult the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Perform checks on all electrical components of the Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor circuit. Look for damage caused by corrosion or burns and make any necessary corrections.
- Verify that the reference voltage and supply voltage of the Right Front Wheel Speed Sensor electrical circuit match those indicated in the service manual. If one of these values is out of range, measure the continuity of the wiring and make repairs.
- Check the condition of the right front wheel speed sensor. Take into account the diagnostic steps indicated by the manufacturer. If you discover inconsistencies in it, replace it if necessary.