B1868 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
B1868 Code failures by brands
B1868 FORD, LINCOLN, MERCURY: AIR BAG LAMP WARNING INDICATOR CIRCUIT FAILURE
Description of DTC code B1868
The Airbag indicator is designed to illuminate for 6 (± 2) seconds after the ignition switch is turned ON. These first 6 seconds of illumination are considered normal operation and this process is known as the Airbag Indicator Output Test. Basically, the function of this indicator is to warn the driver of faults that the SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) may experience.
The RCM (Restraint Control Module) constantly monitors the Airbag Warning Indicator for open or short to ground conditions. Should one of these conditions be detected, the B1868 OBDII fault code will be set.
Symptoms of fault code B1868
- Check Engine light on.
- The Airbag indicator is illuminated.
Causes of OBD2 B1868
B1868 OBD2 diagnostic code is set for the following reasons:
- Airbag warning light bulb circuit wires may have been damaged.
- The Airbag warning light bulb circuit may be open or shorted due to bad connections.
- The Airbag warning light bulb may be defective.
- RCM could be damaged.
Possible solutions of the DTC code B1868
To troubleshoot the DTC B1868 OBDII code you must do the following:
- Consult the Technical Service Bulletins.
- Inspect the wires related to the Airbag warning light bulb circuit and check that they are not defective. Repair or replace wires with wear or burns.
- Measure the Airbag warning light bulb circuit voltages and compare these values with those indicated in the service manual. If deficient voltages are detected, proceed with repairs.
- Check the condition of the Airbag warning light bulb. If you determine that the bulb is defective, replace it.