B1836 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
B1836 Code failures by brands
B1836 LEXUS, TOYOTA, SCION: OPEN IN FRONT PASSENGER SIDE CURTAIN SHIELD SQUIB CIRCUIT
Description of DTC code B1836
The front side passenger curtain airbag circuit is formed by the center airbag sensor assembly and the right curtain airbag assembly. This circuit provides signals to the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) to deploy when conditions are met.
When the B1836 OBD2 diagnostic code is set, it is because the front passenger curtain protection circuit has been detected to be open.
Symptoms of fault code B1836
- Check Engine Lamp illuminated.
- Airbag trouble light illuminates.
Causes of OBD2 B1836
Reasons for storing OBDII fault code B1836 are:
- The right curtain airbag assembly wires could be deficient.
- The right curtain airbag circuit may have poor electrical connections.
- The right curtain airbag (RH) assembly (front passenger side curtain shield) may be defective.
- The center airbag sensor assembly could be in poor condition.
Possible solutions of the DTC code B1836
To troubleshoot DTC B1836 OBD2 consider the following:
- Consult the TSB (Technical Service Bulletins).
- Check the wiring of the right curtain airbag assembly, and verify that there are no conditions created by burns or wear. If one of these conditions is discovered, proceed with the appropriate adjustments.
- Check the condition of the right curtain airbag circuit connections. Since the code indicates an open circuit, check the connections for damage. Repair as applicable.
- Verify the integrity of the right curtain airbag assembly and the center airbag sensor assembly, taking into account the manufacturer's recommended diagnostic steps. If damage is found on either of these, make the necessary corrections.