B1620 - FAULT CODE - OBD2
B1620 Code failures by brands
B1620 LEXUS, SCION, TOYOTA: SIDE AIRBAG SENSOR RIGHT CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION
Description of DTC code B1620
The Airbag system is one of the most important safety features for vehicles. For this system, a controller regulates the performance of some sensors that are related to it and installed inside the car. These sensors are devices that detect the rapid deceleration of the car, they produce a signal as a response. The data is transmitted electronically to the control unit and all the equipment related to the airbag. These devices also take note of the intensity of the collision and determine whether the airbag should inflate or not.
The Side Airbag Sensor Right (RH) circuit determines the deployment of the right-side airbag and the right curtain shield airbag. This circuit is comprised of the center airbag sensor, the right side airbag sensor, and the right rear airbag sensor assembly.
The function of the Right Side Airbag Sensor is to send signals to the Center Airbag Sensor and determine if the airbag needs to be activated. If the right side airbag sensor works wrongly, the B1620 OBDII diagnostic code B1620 will be set.
Symptoms of fault code B1620
- Check Engine ON.
- The airbag warning light turns on.
Causes of OBD2 B1620
DTC B1620 OBD2 is set for one of the following reasons:
- The Right side airbag sensor wires or connectors may be damaged.
- The Side Airbag Sensor Right circuit may have poor connections, causing a short or open circuit.
- The right-side airbag sensor may be defective.
- The center airbag sensor may be in poor condition.
Possible solutions of the DTC code B1620
To troubleshoot the B1620 OBDII fault code, try this:
- See Technical Service Bulletins.
- Check the right side airbag sensor wiring harnesses for common damage (corrosion or wear). If any of these conditions are found, make the appropriate repairs.
- Measure the right side airbag sensor circuit voltages and verify that the circuit is not shorted or open due to bad connections. If you discover deficient voltages, make corrections.
- Check the condition of the right-side airbag sensor. To do this, follow the diagnostic steps recommended by the manufacturer. If you detect damage to the sensor, consider replacing it.