B0081 - FIRST ROW CENTER SEATBELT LOAD LIMITER DEPLOYMENT CONTROL (DEFAULT)
Description of DTC code B0081
When the ignition switch is activated, the PPS (Passenger Presence System) and SDM (Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module) perform various tests to diagnose critical faults. Once the SDM completes the ignition mode, communication is established with the Passenger Presence System, which will respond by commanding the two On-Off indicators of the passenger airbag for 5 seconds
The SDM transmits a request message to the PPS, requesting a system verification ID. Once this ID is received, the module compares it with the data stored in its memory. If the stored data does not match the information sent by the PPS, a fault code will be set indicating system failure
When the B0081 OBDII code is set, it is due to erratic operation found by the Passenger Presence System.
Symptoms of fault code B0081
- Check Engine light on.
- The airbag malfunction lamp is on.
Causes of OBD2 B0081
The reasons for which the B0081 OBD2 diagnostic code is set are:
- The battery may not have a sufficient charge level.
- There may be damage to the Passenger Presence System
- The electrical connections to the Inflatable Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module may be faulty.
- The SDM may be in poor condition.
Possible solutions of the DTC code B0081
The steps to troubleshoot the DTC B0081 OBDII code are:
- Consult the TSBs.
- Using a scan tool you must obtain the stored codes. Usually, the code B0081 has a subcode that specifically points out the fault.
- Check that the battery is sufficiently charged. A discharged battery can cause the Airbag lamp to come on when the engine is started during diagnostic testing.
- Inspect the condition of the PPS If you discover common damage, make the respective repairs.
- Check the condition of the SDM and its electrical connections. In case of deficiencies due to corrosion or burns, make the necessary repairs.